Friday 15 February 2013

Black Stars, Nguema et al

Hello everyone. It's good to be back after a long break. I am so excited that I don't even know where to start, but I will any how. The break in the league was not that long for me. I returned to training after just one week as was the case for all Kotoko players. Reasons? Well I guess it is obvious; Kotoko's onslaught on Africa was on the cards.

There is a lot to share on how training has gone but this piece won't be complete without a touch on the African Cup of Nations. Hmm, I've heard lots of opinions about Ghana's performance at the just-ended competition but my bone of contention is with those who think the team didn't perform to expectation. Maybe the hype by the media concerning the team's chances raised the hopes of Ghanaians to an absurd level, in which case, failure to reach the final was always going to represent a damnable act, probably punishable by the bitterness and abuse that the team has endured in various circles. Personally I think the team did well! Yes! (imagine reading my lips), the team did well.

The sweet array of stars Ghana could not benefit from at the tournament due to one reason or the other gives me reason to think we did well. Imagine the dizzying heights a Black Stars team complete of Michael Essien, Sulley Muntari, Dede Ayew, Kevin Prince Boateng and a fully fit John Mensah could send us. I even think the difference between the Ghana team at the tournament and that of Zambia at Gabon and Equatorial Guinea was luck.

The stars which watched over the Zambians last year had clearly deserted them and we saw their fate. If we had a bit of luck, certain near misses would have hit the back of the net and we could be telling a different story. We could easily have met Nigeria in the finals, a development I had already bet on against my agent, Eby (The Black Doll), who is Nigerian. In fact, I told her we'd meet and beat them in the finals. You can imagine the ribbing she gave me when we never even made it to the finals, hahaha.. But I know the Black Stars will be back, stronger than ever.. The Super Eagles did very well and deserved to win. My sincere congratulations to them!

I was so sad for Kwasi Appiah and Maxwell Konadu, two coaches I have had personal ties with and also for defender Awal Mohammed who had received his first call-up. Ask me and I will tell tell that the two coaches must be maintained to continue the good work they have started. 

Back to Kotoko; the worst mistake Sony Ela Nguema could have made was to have accepted to play us and not withdraw (no disrespect). The conditioning and tactical drills Coach Massud Didi Dramani and the rest of the technical team are putting us through can only guarantee a handsome win against them. I don't know much about them; all I know is that they an EquatoGuinean team who will be the latest victims of the venom coming from the quills of the porcupine. The vibe in camp in refreshing and nothing will stop us from beating them on Sunday.

PS - I will be updating my fans on an interesting development very soon.

Adios

GB3

No comments:

Post a Comment