Tuesday 7 May 2013

Acclimatising with Honka... With an eye on Kotoko


Hi everyone! It has felt like ages since I updated you on how things are going and how I am getting on. The last time I checked, I was reaching my fans from somewhere in Kumasi but as I type, I am currently in the beautiful city of Espoo, on the shore of the Gulf of Finland. Need I reiterate why I am here while Kotoko plays in the Glo Premier League? Well, while many Ghanaian players go abroad in search of greener pastures I am here to while away time in my Kotoko career in a useful way.

Ardent readers of my previous blogs will attest to my biggest challenge this season - playing time! I have struggled to get playing time under my belt at Kotoko, the very situation every footballer tries to avoid as much as possible. It will always go down as 'normal' if a player recovering from the kind of injury I suffered struggles to regain his form and a place in his team's starting XI, but trust me, my situation was worse. I went through traumatic times. The more I tried, the harder it became. There were times the fans became impatient which is understandable. They missed the old me. I always thank God for the lives of my wife (Herty) and Eby (my agent) who spurred me on.

Eventually, I opted for a loan move. I will always count my luck to have an agent, who with the help of FIFA agent Tony Awor, was able to get me a European club even as a 'loan' player. As I speak, I can say I am feeling great, enjoying European football and the mentality that accompanies it. Adapting to life in Finland however is a real challenge; I must say. Everything is totally different from what I am used to in Ghana. The food, weather, language, lifestyle and everything you can mention reminds me of the fact that I am in 'obi man so' (a strange land). I thank my team mates and agent for the things they have done to help me acclimatise to life in Finland.

Interestingly, the style of play in Finland is nothing like it is in Ghana. The pitches are better and the game is faster and requires a lot of mental fortitude with minimal use of physique which makes the game comparatively easier. The standard of play is higher than I expected it to be! My early days were hard for me but my coaches and team mates have been helpful. Honka did not start the season well but the playing time and experience I am getting under my belt cannot be quantified. I have so far scored two goals, one in a friendly (my debut) and the other in the Suomen Cup (Finnish Cup). The Finnish fans have been amazing and very supportive. They have sent me a lot of encouraging messages via twitter and facebook; and for that, I am very thankful!

One of the goals I scored was against a team whose coach I have met in the Glo Premier League before. Yes, I met former King Faisal coach George Stephen Pollack who coaches Kooteepee, the club my goal eliminated in the Suomen Cup. You can trust that we had a nice chat. I have not found time to discuss Ghana football with my teammates but they know that I come from one of the biggest clubs in Africa. I hardly get time to monitor Kotoko's matches live due to my busy training and match schedules but during my leisure, I try to catch up on events. I was so sad when JSM Bejaia knocked us out of Africa but hey! that's football for you; you win some you lose some. I am happy to see that they have dusted themselves from the difficulties and are on course for the double this season. I predicted that Kotoko would win the superclash in Accra because we always seem to win games in Accra, however it was a draw. Kudos to my boy Michael Helegbe for scoring the lone goal! I heard the euphoria at the stadium was second to none.

Before I go, I cannot help but commend the matured levels of democracy Ghana is currently displaying. The whole world can now understand that democracy in Africa, Ghana to be precise, has come of age. It is humanly better to use your intellect (with your pens and papers) to stage a coup d'etat when you disagree with the outcome of a voting process than resort to guns, bullets and machetes.

Please follow me on twitter for regular updates @gbaah3
Thank you... Me daasi.... Kiitos..... :-)
GB3

No comments:

Post a Comment